Thursday, March 19, 2015

make room for what matters

 
I am extremely attracted to the idea of minimalism.
 
I absolutely love thinking about what I would take with me if I was told I could only leave my house with a suitcase packed with my most essential belongings. I also happen to love reading blogs about people who strive to narrow down their belongings (or closet) to only 37 things per say.
 
Only the essentials... No room for clutter or unnecessary junk...
 
Minimalism reminds me of the time when I took an 18 day hike through the Gila Wilderness where all we had was the essentials, tightly stuffed into our 60 lb trekking backpacks. We didn't even carry deodorant (or toilet paper for that matter). It was an amazing trip. No extra stuff to weigh us down and hold us back from the wild adventure ahead. No extra stuff to distract us from our beautiful surroundings. (if you're wondering how we managed to do without TP, ask me later).
 
Minimalism also reminds me of the time when I had to fit all of my belongings in the back of my pickup as I moved from California to Texas for residency. The game of tetris is a great analogy as to how I crammed everything in so snugly. I did this to ensure I had all that I needed for my new life in the great city of Houston.
 
More recently this past Sunday, minimalism reminds me of how I strategically chose the 7 articles of clothing I would be wearing for the 2015 Los Angeles marathon. Ditch the fanny pack, ditch the hat and the phone and the keys. Just 7 specific articles of clothing to succeed and get the job done (shoes, socks, underwear, shorts, and shirt).
 
What makes minimalism so attractive? Why does this way of living seem like that fresh air I have been holding my breath for?
 
The truth is I am the king of spreading myself too thin, of double booking my schedule and being late, of living distracted because of all the junk, of overcommitting, of accumulating unnecessary baggage, and you can only do that for so long before you go insane.
 
So why not ditch the clutter in my life? Less clutter means less distractions, less competing priorities, less weight to carry, less stuff to worry about. All this means more room and energy to spend on what truly matters in life. And extra junk in our lives comes in all shapes and sizes, your baggage may not only be boxes of physical stuff, but may also be emotional baggage. Just think of all those grudges and insecurities you've been lugging around for ages.
 
I strive to get rid of the unnecessary to make room for what truly matters (God and people). This permeates everything I do (even in what I choose to speak up about).
 
Pack only the essentials.
 
You may think that your life cannot be further simplified or further decluttered: "it's just too complicated." That may be true to a certain extent as life is not perfect and we are not perfect people, but reality is we can still strive to make room for what truly matters by tossing what isn't necessary in our life.
 
The most essential thing we should pack with us is from God. He LOVES us so much that we can then in turn overflow in love towards others. So if you try to live in one simple principle, live in love. Jesus also said "all the commandments and rules and regulations found in the bible can be summed up into loving God and others." Everything else doesn't matter.
 
And when every once in a while I manage to pick up some extra clutter I had already purposefully left behind, once I realize it, I turn again to toss it, no big deal, because there is always grace in abundance.
 
And I finish with this: Jesus said "Come to me all you who are tired and heavy-burdened and I will give you rest. Take my yoke instead and learn from me and you will find rest for your souls."


3 comments:

  1. ¡¡¡Excelente!!! Es un gusto volver a saber de ti, Julian. Un gran abrazo a la distancia. Saludos y bendiciones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My co-worker came across your blog and suggested that I read this post in particular. This is so fitting for where I am right now and inspires me to remove the clutter that is keeping me from being at my best. Looking forward to reading more of your posts!

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete